Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Elijah

Elijah -- Rich Mullins (Oct. 21, 1955 - Sept. 19, 1997)

The Jordan is waiting for me to cross thru
My heart is aging I can tell
So Lord I'm begging for one last favour from You
Here's my heart - take it where You will

This life has shown me how we're mended and how we're torn
How it's O.K. to be lonely as long as you're free
Sometimes my ground was stony and sometimes covered up with thorns
And only You could make it what it had to be

And now that it's done
If they dressed me like a pauper or if they dined me like a prince
If they lay me with my fathers or if my ashes scatter on the wind
I don't care

'cause when I go I wanna go out like Elijah
With a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire
And when I look back on the stars it'll be like a candlelight in Central Park
And it won't break my heart to say goodbye

There's people been friendly but they'd never be your friends
Sometimes this has bent me to the ground
But now that this is all ending I want to hear some music once again
'cause it's the finest thing that I have ever found

But the Jordan is waiting though I ain't never seen the other side
Still they say you can't take in the things you have here
So on the road to salvation I stick out my thumb and He gives me a ride
And His music is already falling on my ears

There's people been talking, they say they're worried about my soul
Well I'm here to tell you I'll keep rocking 'til I'm sure it's my time to roll

And when I go I wanna go out like Elijah
With a whirlwind to fuel my chariot of fire
And when I look back on the stars it'll be like a candlelight in Central Park
And it won't break my heart to say goodbye

Rich Mullins was killed in a car crash in 1997. He was ejected from his vehicle and died immediately. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Mullins

No comments: